31130 State Highway 94, Campo, CA 92006
Hours: Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.; open during the week by appointment only
Housed in a sturdy stone structure built in 1885, the Campo Stone
Store Museum takes you back to an adventurous, pioneering time when
this area 50 miles east of San Diego was a hotspot of commerce, travel
and ranching. An official California Historic Landmark, the stone
building was erected after a furious raid of the town’s main store by
border bandits in 1875. Seeking more security, the store was rebuilt
with much sturdier stone. People from both sides of the border relied
on the store, which also served as a bank, post office and community
This area was also the location for Camp Locket, a military outpost created in the early 1940s to protect the southern frontier shortly before the United States went to war. Camp Lockett housed the horse cavalry – the most effective way to patrol the rocky, mountainous terrain – and served as the last home of the legendary Buffalo Soldiers.
Get additional information on the Camp Stone Store website.