What to Eat and Drink Before a Hike:
- Pre-hydrate by drinking at least 4 cups of water.
- Don’t start a hike on an empty stomach!
- Eat a
combination of complex carbohydrates and lean protein, 1-3 hours
before a hike, for example:
- A peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole wheat bread
- Greek yogurt with berries
- Oatmeal with low fat milk and
- Apple and peanut butter
- A handful of nuts and
raisins (2 parts raisins, 1 part nuts)
What to Eat and Drink After a Hike:
- Rehydrate with water.
- Eat a combination of complex
carbohydrates and lean protein within 20 minutes of a hike to
replenish lost nutrients, for example:
- An 8-ounce smoothie made from low-fat milk and fruit
- String cheese with whole grain pretzels or crackers
- Coconut water (with no added sugar)
- Turkey on a whole
grain wrap with veggies
- Yogurt with berries
For more information, visit webmd.com and
This information is brought to you through a partnership between
the County of San Diego Department of Parks and Recreation and the
Health and Human Services Agency.